Saturday 13 August 2011

Resistance is futile and so am giving up on getting any kind of sleep tonight

The first night in a very long time little man has stayed asleep, just to give a clear picture the usual routine on night time in my house is chill out quiet time in pyjamas with a drink and weetabix, then upstairs teeth brushed, face washed and bedtime story in bed nothing unusual there..... until all hell breaks loose!!! . As soon as I leave the room he is up , he screams and when returned to his bed he fights with me sometimes literally if he is really angry he bangs his head off the bed frame or wall (whichever takes his fancy that night) and then he will sit at top of the stairs screaming at the top of his lungs and banging his feet on the floor (I bet my neighbours hate bedtime as much as I do) this can carry on for up to an hour and a half some nights are worse than others, and then once he is peacefully sleeping and may i add again resembling an angelic being I wait for the next wake up , he will wake in the night between 3 and 5 times crying, he has very bad nightmares which visibly scare him and he wants to be in my bed, now I have battled with this issue for a while and there was a time when I would let him in my bed in order to get some sleep for both of us, however  I do feel that he is of an age now where he needs to be in his own bed and sleeping through the night, I am however, still in the process of developing the necessary skills needed to implement this effectively and with success! So tonight much to my delight he went to bed without a fuss (this has not happened in over a year ) and so far he has not stirred (also very unusual ) and look at me I am wide awake and so desperately wanting to take advantage of some much needed sleep!!! How frustrating, my mind is going ten to the dozen tonight and my thoughts are very cloudy and erratic!!! I maybe need some calming whale song or something to calm me down!!! Why oh why is this happening .... please brain switch off..... no seriously switch off!!!!

As I say there is no point fighting it and so I am going to have a long night awake so thought I might as well share my frustration with you all, in the hope that there are people out there who have this trouble or people who have managed to turn there little one's sleep habits around and successfully achieve a full night of rest???

2 comments:

  1. Oh bless you honey! I hope this is the beginning of a good routine for your wee man! and that you get some sleep. i am awake still at 2am, cuz my OH is rallying tonight..see my blog entry.. and i am worrying :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to blogging! I am your newest follower.
    I can empathise with sleepless nights so much. Hope your wee one keeps going well.

    ReplyDelete